Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Los Angeles

Los Angeles and Vancouver are the 2 entry points to America and Canada from Australia and NZ and I am sure I will be visiting both these locations many times in the future. In August this year I plan to be in Canada so will travel via Vancouver. I have been and stayed in the beautiful city Vancouver twice before but for now my stay in Los Angeles will be my first.
I depart Mexico on Tuesday and loose two days in my return to Australia, one through travel time, and the other crossing the date line. So rather than returning to work for the Friday I might as well stay a few extra days in LA so that I can arrive back in Melbourne for Saturday. That will allow me time to mow the lawns (I had almost forgotten about them) and perhaps adjust to the time zone, before attempting to work again... I wonder if I will cope?
How will I deal with all those emails, and all those things that have been put off until my return.
But enough of that, I must not think about such things while on holiday.
I chose a hotel close to the airport with free transfers to/from the hotel. There are plenty to choose from, just depends on your budget.
Driving is bad in LA especially during peak hour so the most obvious plan is to organise bus tours.

I managed to land, from Cabo, and get through LA airport and onto the hotel courtesy within 1 hour.
So was quite impressed, especially when I started off in immigration by standing in the US citizens only line, when he asked me for my green card I knew something was wrong. A woman was directing everyone into that line so I really don't think it was my fault! But I did not have any deadlines so the pressure was off, and perhaps the brain not in full working mode.
Never mind there were only 3 people standing in the non US citizens line, so not much of a time delay, it was off peak and only our plane being processed.

I have booked in for the "Grand Tour" of LA tomorrow. So will be quite different from being beside the pool, I am missing that already.
The Grand Tour was completed without issue. There were mixed reviews on Travel Advisor but it obviously depends on the driver and in my case I had a good one who gave lots of commentary.
We did have one small issue at the first stop in Venus Bay when one of the 12 passengers did not return to the bus at the nominated departure time. We waited an extra 15 minutes then left. So we don't know what happened to her. She was from USA so would not have any language problems in finding her way back home. The tour is prepaid so I wonder if she got back to the tour operator to arrange another tour.
We went and visited the main attractions and it gave me guidance on what I would do for the following day.
The last day in LA was back to Hollywood plus downtown LA, but this time using the Metro train and bus system, such a pleasure and so easy to use the trains and buses. After several a years of Melbourne attempting to introduce a system I still don't know how the ticketing works and just don't use it because of that.
The ticket for a day pass in LA was $5 plus a $1 fee for the first purchase of the TAP card.
I think in Melbourne the charge $20 for the purchase of a card which is very unfriendly for someone that wants to use it once.
Two days is enough time here this time, perhaps next time I may select somewhere closer to Venus Bay to stay as it looks interesting there despite all the homeless sleeping in very visible places


LA Photos Slideshow

No comments:

Post a Comment